Thursday, December 27, 2007

Goodbye Old Friend




Last weekend a old Friend who was once very dear to me passed away. During my last couple years of high school I had three very close friends who I spent the majority of my spare time with. Tanya, Michelle and Stephanie. After high school we kind of went our separate ways. It happened gradually and before we knew it, it had been years. The above picture was taken at Steph's wedding in Sep of 2000. The last time I can recall us all being together is I believe in 2004 right before Steph moved to Fort Mac. Whenever I have traveled to Medicine Hat in recent years I have a thought in the back of my mind that it would be so nice to reconnect I should really try to plan a get together with these girls - and of course it never happened. Trips are always so rushed and then the kids came along and things got busier and busier. I am sad to say I missed the opportunity. I will never have it again. Stephanie passed away on December 22 at the age of 28 after a courageous battle with Cancer. I know that we really have not been close in the last 9 years and have talked only a handful of times and really besides a brief hello over facebook I don't believe we had talked at all since 2004. But my heart is heavy. I truly believed that one day we could reconnect. I have thought of Stephanie many times throughout the years and I hold many memories.

Tomorrow I will travel back to Medicine Hat for her Funeral. It just doesn't seem real. It will be a very hard emotional couple of days. Although I wish it was over happier occasions I have been able to reconnect with Tanya and Michelle. I have had a few long conversations with them both over the last couple of weeks and it has been great to have them back. These three women hold a very special place in my heart.

No comments: