Saturday, February 17, 2007

Grandma J

I have only one living Grandparent. My great Grandma Johnson. She is 95 years old. Yesterday she had a heart attack. At first the Dr thought it was a major heart attack and that her kidneys were failing, later the family was told it was minor and that her Kidneys were fine. All in all Grandma is in amazing health. She has had both knees replaced and she is finding it more and more difficult to hear, even with new hearing aids. Grandma has always been a part of our lives, even though I only get to see her a couple times a year. Samantha, my mom, and I took a trip to see her in September. We played cards (rummy) and she totally beat my mom and I. We stayed for lunch and got to visit for a afternoon. I am amazed by her. She has such a sharp memory and she talked about her growing up and about her 50 year marriage- my great grandpa died when I was 1. It is weird to think that this women who has always been a part of my life had a whole life before that.
It is crazy to think about all the changes she has seen in her life.. imagine what things like phones, cars, computers, cities were like 95 years ago. I also think about all the Joy she has experienced and all the heartache. She has probably been to more weddings then anyone I know. Held so many newborns, received so many drawings and homemade cards from loving grand kids, great grand kids and great great grand kids. Can you imagine the size of her photo albums with everyone yearly family and school photos? She has now lived without the love of her life for nearly 27 years, buried a daughter and 2 son in laws and 3 grandchildren, and 4 siblings and even more friends. Heart Breaking

I am told Grandma is doing good today, just a little trouble breathing. As much as I don't want to be without Grandma, I pray that she is not in pain. Here is a picture of the last time I seen Grandma. She got to meet Nathan in December.

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

A beautiful post Tasha! I love the picture of her holding Nathan.What a blessing to have had her so long.

Love your blog and hopefully I will start blogging more!

Suzanne