Saturday, February 24, 2007

Grandma J - Part 2

Generally speaking I would say I am a person of action. I would say for the most part I act rather then thinking about acting. Although sometimes this trait leads to retarded purchases and such, for the most part I am glad I am this way. Especially this week. On Thursday morning at 10:40 I talked to my mom who had just been to the Hospital the night before. She said Grandma J was looking very pale and weak. After hearing this I told my mom I am coming to Medicine Hat right after lunch. So I hurriedly packed for myself and the kids and got Fred to bring home lunch and away we went- on the road by 12:40 me and the Kids.

We got in Medicine Hat just in time to pick up my mom from work then head to the Hospital. As soon as we walked in the Hospital Grandma instantly recognized us and smiled. She was just on End of what we assume was another Heart attack. So they were giving her morphine and Nitro. She was fighting to breath and also fighting off sleep. The family had decided at this point the goal was to make Grandma as comfortable as possible rather then poke and prod. So we declined the EKG and blood work and such that is why I say we assume it was a heart attack.

As I was driving down, I was a little nervous to see grandma in the Hospital. I thought I would rather remember her full of life, but I still went. Yes Grandma was very week, and it was very hard to see her like that but here is what I will remember. I will remember her big smile through her Oxygen mask as I held Nathan next to her and he smiled and cooed and laughed for Grandma. I will remember the smile on her face as Samantha blew her kisses and she tried to wave back. We stayed at the Hospital for about three hours. I am shocked at how well behaved the kids were. Samantha only knocked down one oxygen container and it was totally by accident. She deffinatly lightened the mood with her round of "knuckles" a trick learned from her cousin Cam. I also believe Grandma loved that they came.

Grandma left us at 10:30 that night. I am so glad I came when I did. I will miss her a lot, but I am very thank full this was not a long drawn out battle. She left us all with a lot of wonderful memories that we will cherish forever.

There will not be a service right away, late next month probably. Grandma had 84 direct descendants - not including the spouses. Nathan was the youngest. So as you can imagine everyone will want to come so we are having it later.

1 comment:

Stacey Sparshu Miller said...

Oh Tash, I'm so sad with you and for you but am glad that you got the chance to be with her. If there's anything that I can do too help, let me know!

I'm definitely praying for an abundance of God's peace and care for you right now!