Monday, December 22, 2008

1 year

Today marks one year since my Friend Stephanie passed away. She was 28 and she died of ovarian cancer. Although we had drifted apart and let life happen and were not close in recent years - I miss her a lot. I always thought there would be time to reconnect..... I think of her often. It just doesn't seem fair.

I was in Medicine Hat this weekend. In the recent years whenever I would go to Medicine Hat I had thoughts of calling the girls and trying to connect. This weekend I visited her grave. It seems surreal. Because I hadn't seen Steph in a couple years it just doesn't seem real.

There is a Church in Medicine Hat that is rather famous- well to Medicine Hat standards. Everybody knows it. It is St Patrick's. It is located on Riverside. This is the neighborhood I spent my first twelve years in. This Church roof line can be seen from everywhere on Riverside. It was a fixture in my Childhood. But I never went in it. I wasn't catholic. After I became a church goer myself my Friend Steph often asked me to go to mass with her. She wanted to go the Saturday evening versus having to wake up on Sunday Morning. I went at first because I wanted to learn the difference between the catholic faith and my new found faith- and I wanted to see the inside of that church. So I went with her probably half a dozen times. Then the next time I went was for her wedding and then I last went again for her funeral. I can't see the church without thinking of her. She was a pretty amazing person. She was Beautiful, Funny, Sarcastic, Kind, Blunt.- She had a particular affirmation for public flatulence. She was one of a kind and I will remember her till we meet again.

No comments: